Information for Riders Competing overseas

Information for Riders Competing overseas in National and FEI Competitions

If you are thinking of competing overseas in either National or FEI level competition you are required to have the following:

  • International Competitors Licence
  • Current EA Membership
  • FEI Registration for horse and rider (if competing in FEI events)
  • FEI Passport for your horse (if competing in higher FEI level events)

If you are competing in FEI events overseas then you need to inform Equestrian Australia (EA) so your entry can be endorsed by EA and entered into the FEI Entry System.

In order for your entry to be made in the FEI Entry System you and your horse will need to have a current FEI registration and your horse a current FEI Passport (if applicable).

Please note that even though Equestrian Australia makes your entry into the FEI Entry System you are still required to contact the OC directly to book your stabling and pay for your entries. Equestrian Australia only endorses your entry to compete.

To request an entry for an FEI event outside of Australia please allow 4 weeks before the entry needs to be made and contact the following people:

To complete all of the required registrations and licenses please see below:

International Competitors License

An International license is required for EA members planning to compete overseas at international events. You will need to be a current EA member to obtain this license.

Contact : Stefanie Maraun [email protected] 


FEI Registration for Horse and Rider

Registration is required for all riders and horses competing at FEI level competition. The registration is based on the calendar year and needs to be renewed in January each year. Please ensure this form is sent to the EA office prior to competing in FEI events. You must be a current EA member to get FEI registration.

FEI Registration Form 2017 NEW.pdf

FEI Passport & Recognition Cards

FEI Passports or Recognition cards are required for the following levels of competition:

Dressage CDI-W, CDI3* and above 
Para-Dressage CPEDI3* and above
Eventing CCI3*, CCI4*, CIC3* 
Jumping CSI-W, CSI3* and above
Endurance CEI3* and above
Vaulting CVI3* and above
Driving CAI3* and above
Reining CRI3* and above

Please note: An FEI passport is required for all FEI events conducted outside of Australia.

If your horse has a current EA National Identification Document (Blue booklet) or an Overseas National Passport then you will need a recognition card. A passport is required if you do not have a blue ID document or overseas booklet.

Passport_Order_Form_2017 NEW.pdf

How to complete the FEI Passport/recognition card correctly ?

Please be advised that the FEI has released the ‘2016 Horse Name Change Guidelines’ which are available on their website (click button below). Please make sure that the FEI passport/recognition card are completed thoroughly and are respecting the guidelines as a $25.00 alterations admin fee will be charged.

Read the FEI Identification of Horses document

Should you have any queries relating to fees associated for horse name changes for FEI Passports/Recognition Cards please consult the FEI website for more information HERE.

27 October 2016 Update :

NEW IMPLEMENTATION | Following the FEI General Regulation, horses that are being registered with the FEI for the first time will need to be identifiable by the EA National Passport. This process WILL NOT APPLY to any horse with a current FEI registration number or overseas national passports (KWPN, German Hannover Document,etc.) 

EA National Passport Document 

17 February 2016 Update :

As of 17 February 2016, all newly issued FEI Passports and FEI Recognition Cards will require scans/files of the necessary documents/pages to be uploaded by the National Federation on the FEI Database before the horse in question can be entered for a FEI event. For modifications made to existing FEI documents that require new stickers, the relevant scans/pages will also need to be uploaded on the FEI Database.

Therefore this means that riders purchasing a new FEI passport/recognition card must allow enough time for this process to be completed before the entry for a FEI event is to be made. Furthermore it is imperative that the FEI Passport/recognition card is completed correctly in order for the FEI to accept the document and allow the entry.